Sundry small sysadmin tasks later (adding swap, users, mounting /home from the vax, installing some binary packages and starting a build for the latest PHP (don't ask)), and there was just time to break for the pre-9am coffee.
So, what do we have:
- wopr - an 128M VAXstation 4000/90A acting as a NFS server to
- orac - a 16M SEGA Dreamcast with sh3 CPU
Both have a 'falken' login which runs the standard NetBSD /usr/games/wargames script (the password *is* the obvious one :)
So, what next for Retrochallenge 2012:
- The wargames script really could do with being a little more faithful to the movie. Per character delay, more interaction, prompting for Global Thermonuclear War or even a nice game of chess :)
- Turning this into the worlds strangest honeypot. I have a sparc classic with two network interfaces which could act as a monitor, but what apps and accounts should be on the target VAX & Dreamcast machines? Samba? some hugely vulnerable web apps?
- Running an sh3 emulator on the VAX & a VAX emulator on the Dreamcast?
- Adding as many alternate architectures to the cluster as possible. Partial marks only for using VPN connections to alternate locations
Your suggestions wanted!
<< Dream a little cast of me... THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS... >>